Discovering the perfect wedding venue involves more than just aesthetic appeal – though, let’s admit, the vibe of the venue certainly does play a significant role. But to find the perfect venue for your specific needs, you need to know a few important details to help you make the best decision. In this guide, we’ve compiled a curated list of 35 questions to consider asking your potential venue.
Pricing and Availability
- The obvious one - Is my preferred date available? If not, are there surrounding dates available?
- How far in advance can I reserve my date?
- What are the rates for different days and times? (Friday, Saturday, Sunday; morning, afternoon, evening; different seasons)
- What are the venue’s packages and pricing options? Ask about the different wedding packages offered by the venue and the pricing details to ensure they fit within your budget.
- How many hours are included in the venue hire, and what are the arrival and departure times?
- Ideally, you’d want exclusivity on your wedding day to avoid setup limitations, restricted venue access, and guest confusion. If exclusivity isn’t guaranteed, enquire about the cost of a complete buyout and understand how the staff manages multiple events simultaneously.
- What is the venue’s capacity? Understanding the venue’s capacity will help you determine if it can comfortably accommodate your guest list.
- Can I have a cocktail-style or sit-down reception? And what is the maximum number of guests for each?
- What is the timing around the finish time for the reception? Check if there are any restrictions on extending the celebration if desired.
- Is there a venue Coordinator provided? And if so, what do they assist with? This is important so you know if you need a Wedding planner or Coordinator.
- Are there noise restrictions? Enquire about any noise restrictions or curfews that may impact your wedding reception or any outdoor activities, especially if you plan to have live music or entertainment.
- Is on-site parking available? Ask about parking availability, including any additional charges or restrictions for your guests.
- Is there a shuttle bus or public transport available for guests?
- What provisions are in place for inclement weather? Is a backup indoor space available if I need to move my outdoor ceremony?
- Can I have my Ceremony on-site or can you recommend close locations?
- Are there on-site accommodations for the wedding guests, if so are there discounts for guests?
- Do you allow for a DJ/Band set up, if yes are there any restrictions?
- When can vendors arrive for setup?
Styling and Décor Options:
- Do you have preferred vendors? Can we bring in external styling services of our choice?
- Do you allow DIY or do I have to use a professional Stylist?
- Are there specific styling elements included, or do we need to arrange them separately? ie tables, couches, high bars, linen.
- Do you provide options for either long or round tables?
- View the venue’s chairs and ask if you can bring in other options if required.
- How is the lighting in different areas of the venue? Can we customise lighting arrangements to enhance our chosen style? ie Ceiling fairy lights, chandeliers, lanterns.
Other Vendor Teams:
- Do you provide a list of approved or recommended vendors? Can we also choose our own?
- Are we obligated to use your approved vendors? If not, are there limitations or guidelines for bringing in external vendors?
- Ask for their top recommendations if the venue doesn’t mandate specific vendors. Familiarity with the venue can streamline the planning process for external vendors.
Food and Drinks:
- Do you have an in-house caterer?
- If no in-house caterer, can we choose our own, or are we restricted to an approved list?
- Is there a food and beverage minimum, and what are the consequences if we don’t meet it?
- What is included in the packages?
- Are we able to bring in our own Alcohol and if so, is there a corkage fee?
- Can I bring in a cake from an outside cake designer and is there a Cake cutting fee?
- How does the venue handle dietary restrictions?
- How much is the venue deposit?
- When is the deposit due and the full balance due?
- What is the cancellation policy, and when can changes be made to the reservation?
Armed with these 35 thorough and purposeful questions, your venue exploration is set for success. As your devoted wedding styling partner, we’re excited about the chance to collaborate and bring your dream wedding to life. Connect with us at Splash Events to delve into the latest styling trends, arrange personalised consultations, and view our portfolio. Happy planning!
Follow us for more trends, inspiration, and behind-the-scenes glimpses as we continue crafting unforgettable moments for our couples.